I bet you can't guess what kind of cake this is!
Since we don't like cakes loaded with butter, I used a vanilla cake recipe that uses oil (see below) but followed the tutorial from Martha Stewart. The cake was really light with a nice sweetness - not too sweet.
It took almost 6 hours with baking to make this cake. It was a labour of love from one Kitchen Grrrl to the other (it was for Riley's birthday). It was totally worth it to see her smile and excitement as she cut into this ridiculously tall - so tall it was leaning over - cake!
Simple Vanilla Cake
- 2 cups (500 mL) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable oil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons (11 mL) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line two 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans or one 9x13-inch (23 x 33 cm) rectangular baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the paper and the sides of the pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't overbeat. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
- Each layer for the rainbow cake only take about 15 mins.