These cookies are absolutely delicious. They're really different from the average cookie and we always like different. The summer is still hot like these cookies - the cayenne pepper is a really nice and unexpected touch. If you don't tolerate heat well then I would suggest only using about 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. We added the sunflower seeds because they're colourful and cute :)
Chocolate Diablo Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot!)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed ginger juice or fresh grated ginger root
- extra sea salt and sugar mixed together for rolling cookies in before baking
- chocolate covered sunflower seeds for topping *(our addition)
- Mix dry ingredients.
- In a seperate container, whisk wet ingredients.
- Combine mixtures.
- On a greased cookie sheet press fist size cookie dough balls out and sprinkle with rock salt and sugar. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 11 minutes or until the cookies start to crack. They should be nice and fudgy in the middle! This recipe should make 12 BIG cookies or many more small ones.